Only a few kilometers from the city of Šibenik, on the most beautiful parts of the Krka and Čikola rivers, lies a natural, karst phenomenon: Krka National Park. This park has a large number of lakes and waterfalls, a high density of aromatic lavender, wasps, and bees, and a surreal view are some of Krka’s most wonderful attributes.
Krka became a national park in 1985. Skradinski buk (Skradin waterfall) is known as one of the most beautiful calcium carbonate waterfalls in Europe. Under Skradinski buk lies Hydroelectric Power Plant Jaruga, significant because it is one of the oldest power-generating facilities in the world.
With preserved ecosystems and plenty of scientific, educational, recreational and touristic opportunities, Krka stands as one of the most stunning and unique national parks in Croatia.
If you ever go through Šibenik-Knin County, take time to visit Krka National Park and enjoy its beauty.
A few reasons to visit Krka National Park
The Krka waterfalls
Krka has seven beautiful travertine waterfalls with a total drop in altitude of 242 meters. The most attractive is the massive Skradinski buk decorated with many travertine cascades, lakes, and islands. Roški slap is also stunning and offers many walking and hiking trails with wonderful views.
Flora and fauna
Krka National Park has very rich flora with more than 860 plant species and interesting endemic species like the Chimney bellflower and Grassy bells. Its fauna is rich with fish, birds, snakes, reptiles, and popular species such as the olm, the only vertebrate that has adapted to living underground.
Go beyond the waterfalls
Boat excursions to Visovac Island, Roški slap, and Krka Monastery are some of the most popular activities in the park.
How to visit the Krka National Park
Where it is
Krka National Park is situated in Šibenik-Knin County, a few kilometers northeast of the city of Šibenik, downstream from Miljevci.
When to go
Krka National Park is beautiful any time of year. Here are the working hours of the park for the entire year:
|Skradinski buk||Roški slap and Stinice*||Kistanje (Krka Monastery), Eco Campus Krka at Puljane*, Burnum|
|**January||9:00 - 16:00||9:00 - 16:00||closed|
|February||9:00 - 16:00||9:00 - 16:00||closed|
|March||9:00 - 17:00||9:00 - 17:00||closed|
|April||8:00 - 18:00||10:00 – 18:00||10:00 - 18:00|
|May||8:00 - 19:00||10:00 – 18:00||10:00 - 18:00|
|June||8:00 - 20:00||10:00 – 18:30||10:00 - 18:30|
|July||8:00 - 20.00||10:00 – 18:30||10:00 – 18:30|
|August||8:00 - 20:00||10:00 – 18:30||10:00 – 18:30|
|September||8:00 - 19:00||10:00 – 18:30||10:00 - 18:00|
|October 1 - October 15||8:00 - 18:00||10:00 – 18:00||10:00 - 18:00|
|October 16 - October 31||9:00 - 17:00||9:00 – 17:00||10:00 - 17:00|
|November||9:00 - 16:00||9:00 – 16:00||closed|
|**December||9:00 - 16:00||9:00 – 16:00||closed|
|Hours taken from the Krka National Park official website|
*Eco Campus Krka at Puljane, due to the renovation works, is not currently open for visiting
* Stinice locality is not open for visitors on January, February, March, November and December
** 25 and 26 December – Park is closed for visitors
** 1 January – Only the Lozovac entrance is open for visitors
** 24 and 31 December – Park is open to 12:00
Knin and Drniš Info Centre operate from 7:00 to 15:00
How to get to Krka National Park
There are five official entrances to the park:
Below are directions to the most popular entrances for Krka National Park:
Traveling by car
If visiting Krka National Park by car, you may use the following entrances:
- Lozovac Entrance
This is the main entrance where you can leave your car in a free parking lot. You can go further to Skradinski buk using the National Park Krka buses. You can come to Lozovac in two ways:
- Highway – Get off the E65 highway at the exit for Šibenik. From the exit, Lozovac is only 5-6 minute drive. Go straight and turn towards Lozovac in a place called Tromilja. Just follow the signs and they will guide you to the Lozovac entrance.
- Local road from Šibenik – Follow signs from Šibenik to Drniš/NP Krka and you’ll arrive at the park in 15 minutes. After you pass Šibenik, go through Bilice and Tromilja. In Tromilja, follow the sign and turn towards Lozovac.
- Skradin Entrance
If taking the Skradin entrance, it is important to note that you will enter the park by ferry boat. First, you must go to Skradin and park. Then you can buy tickets at the Krka branch office located at Zagrađe 15 in Skradin. After purchasing tickets, you can board the ferry that departs from the promenade.
The ferry schedule for the boat to Krka has been included at the bottom of this post.
You can get to Skradin in two ways:
- Highway – Leave the E65 highway at the exit for Skradin. Turn right at Road 56. From there, it is only several minutes to the parking lot. You must park in Skradin, then take the ferry that leaves from the main promenade to get into the park.
- Local road from Šibenik – If you want to avoid the highway, follow the local road from Šibenik to Skradin. You will pass by the main entrance Lozovac on the way, so you don’t have to go all the way to the Skradin entrance unless you want to explore Skradin.
Want to eat something unique in Skradin? Check out the 12-hour risotto.
- Roški slap Entrance
This is the most complicated entrance to reach. You can get there from two directions:
- Via Skradin – If you travel from Šibenik, follow the signs to Tromilja and go further to Pakovo selo. Turn on the left towards the canyon of Čikola and follow the signs for Miljevci and Visovac. Pass the canyon and turn left towards Ključ and Drinovci. Follow the main road and turn right on the circular run towards Brištane. You will pass the church on the right side and then turn left in village of Širitovci. Go straight ahead and after you pass the canyon of Krka, you will arrive at the Roški slap entrance.
Here are driving directions from Šibenik to Roški Slap via Skradin.
- Via Drniš – Follow the signs for Miljevci and NP Krka. You will pass the Kalun factory. Go straight ahead towards Širitovci, the canyon of Krka and Roški slap. There are also signs that will lead you all the way to the Roški slap entrance.
Here are driving directions from Šibenik to Roški Slap via Drniš.
Traveling by bus
If traveling to Krka by bus, you may enter at two main entrances:
- Lozovac Entrance – Take the bus from Šibenik or another town in the area. You can find the timetables at each bus station. If you travel from Šibenik, make sure that the bus you select stops an the entrance or on the main road. If dropped on the main road, the entrance will be 1.5 kilometers away, so you’ll need to walk.
The Šibenik main bus station is located here.
- Skradin Entrance – You can take a bus from Šibenik, Zadar, Zagreb or Plitvice Lakes National Park directly to Skradin. The bus will leave you 150 meters from the National Park office and 200 meters from the boat stop.
Admission and Ticket Prices
There are different ticket prices depending on the type of access and attractions you want to visit within the park. Below are the admission prices for Krka. Online ticketing is currently unavailable. Tickets can be purchased at the reception desks the entrances to the park.
|Level of access||January to March, November to December||April to May, October||June to September|
|Adults||Entire park||50 kn||100 kn||200 kn (or 150 kn after 16:00)|
|Children 7-18*||Entire park||30 kn||80 kn||120 kn (or 90 kn after 16:00)|
|Adults||Roški slap||50 kn||50 kn||100 kn|
|Children 7-18*||Roški slap||30 kn||40 kn||55 kn|
|Adults||Kistanje, Burnum, Puljane||40 kn||40 kn||40 kn|
|Children 7-18*||Kistanje, Burnum, Puljane||30 kn||30 kn||30 kn|
|Children under 7||Entire park||FREE||FREE||FREE|
|Adults - Package of 3 park visits||Entire park||120 kn||230 kn||320 kn|
|Children - Package of 3 park visits||Entire park||65 kn||180 kn||200 kn|
Disabled veterans of the Homeland War, members of the Association of Families of Deceased Defenders, individuals with special needs, and individuals with over 50% disability can enter for free with an identification card.
Individual students and members of the Croatian hiking society with identification can receive the child price for entry.
Ferry Boat Schedule from Skradin
The ferry from Skradin to Krka National Park does not run year round. Below is the timetable for the ferry, broken down by month.
|Month||Ferry Boat Route||Available Departure Times|
|January||Skradin - Skradinski buk - Skradin||Does not operate|
|Februrary||Skradin - Skradinski buk - Skradin||Does not operate|
|March||Skradin - Skradinski buk||Does not operate|
|March||Skradinski buk - Skradin||Does not operate|
|April||Skradin - Skradinski buk||9:00, 11:00, 13:00, 15:00, 16:00|
|April||Skradinski buk - Skradin||9:30, 11:30, 13:30, 15:30, 17:30|
|May||Skradin - Skradinski buk||8:00, 9:00, 10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 13:00, 14:00, 15:00, 16:00, 17:00|
|May||Skradinski buk - Skradin||8:30, 9:30, 10:30, 11:30, 12:30, 13:30, 14:30, 15:30, 16:30, 17:30, 18:30|
|June||Skradin - Skradinski buk||8:00, 9:00, 10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 13:00, 14:00, 15:00, 16:00, 17:00, 18:00|
|June||Skradinski buk - Skradin||9:30, 10:30, 11:30, 12:30, 13:30, 14:30; 15:30, 16:30, 17:30, 18:30, 19:30|
|July||Skradin - Skradinski buk||8:00, 9:00, 10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 13:00, 14:00, 15:00, 16:00, 17:00, 18:00|
|July||Skradinski buk - Skradin||9:30, 10:30, 11:30, 12:30, 13:30, 14:30; 15:30, 16:30, 17:30, 18:30, 19:30|
|August||Skradin - Skradinski buk||8:00, 9:00, 10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 13:00, 14:00, 15:00, 16:00, 17:00, 18:00|
|August||Skradinski buk - Skradin||9:30, 10:30, 11:30, 12:30, 13:30, 14:30; 15:30, 16:30, 17:30, 18:30, 19:30|
|September||Skradin - Skradinski buk||8:00, 9:00, 10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 13:00, 14:00, 15:00, 16:00, 17:00|
|September||Skradinski buk - Skradin||9:30, 10:30, 11:30, 12:30, 13:30, 14:30, 15:30, 16:30, 17:30, 18:30|
|October 1 - October 15||Skradin - Skradinski buk||8:00, 9:00, 10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 13:00, 14:00, 15:00, 16:00|
|October 1 - October 15||Skradinski buk - Skradin||9:30, 10:30, 11:30, 12:30, 13:30, 14:30, 15:30, 16:30, 17:30|
|October 16 - October 31||Skradin - Skradinski buk||9:00, 10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 13:00, 15:00|
|October 16 - October 31||Skradinski buk - Skradin||10:30, 11:30, 12:30, 13:30, 15:30, 16:30|
|November 1 - November 14||Skradin - Skradinski buk||9:00, 11:00, 13:00, 15:00|
|November 1 - November 14||Skradinski buk - Skradin||11:30, 13:30, 15:30, 16:30|
|November 15 - November 30||Skradin - Skradinski buk - Skradin||Does not operate|
|December||Skradin - Skradinski buk - Skradin||Does not operate|
Visit other Croatia National Parks
- Brijuni National Park
- Kornati National Park
- Mljet National Park
- Northern Velebit National Park
- Paklenica National Park
- Plitvice National Park
- Risnjak National Park
Please note: All information provided by Expat in Croatia is only for the purposes of guidance. It does not constitute legal or financial advice in any form. For legal advice, you must consult with a licensed Croatian lawyer. For financial advice, you must consult with a licensed Croatian tax advisor or accountant. We can recommend one if you contact us.