Types of Visas in Croatia

If you are not a Croatian citizen and wish to stay in Croatia longer than 90 days (or the term set for your nationality), then you’ll need to apply for a long-term visa.

There are several types of visas available that vary depending on your nationality, heritage and purpose of your stay. Before going to the MUP (police station) to apply for a visa, make sure you know which visa you qualify for and the requirements for the visa.

Here is the list of available residence permits in Croatia:

Tourist Visa

Currently, only citizens of Kosovo, Russia, Turkey and Ukraine require a visa to enter Croatia, even if only for a short term visit. For nationals of these countries, you can apply for a visa online here. However, Kosovo nationals whom already possess a Schengen visa can enter Croatia without obtaining a secondary visa.

EEA Nationals & Their Family

Nationals of EEA Member States and the Swiss Confederation are entitled to a 5-year work and residence permit in Croatia. To get the residence permit, they must apply for a visa no less than 82 days after entry. Here is a list of visa requirements for EEA Nationals and their family members. 

Non-EEA Nationals with Permanent EEA Residence & Their Family

If you do not have citizenship in an EEA member state but do have permanent residence, you can apply for residency in Croatia. You’ll need to show your current (not expired) permanent residence, proof of financial support and proof of health insurance.

Highly-Qualified Non-EEA National

This is a new visa regime for Croatia that came into effect with the assession to the EU in July. This program is also referred to as the EU Blue Card.

If you have received higher education or qualifications such as ISCED 1997 levels 5a or higher, or an associate’s degree or higher, you can apply to be a part of the Blue Card network. Once you are verified, employers within the EU are able to hire you. Once you have been hired or given a binding work offer for a highly-qualified position within Croatia, you are automatically entitled to a Croatian visa.

Everybody Else

If you do not hold EEA citizenship, then you fall into the “everybody else” bucket. For those in this category, you’ve got your work cut out for you. Make sure you bring these items with you to the MUP (police station). The 6 reasons Croatia will grant a visa to a non-EEA national are:

  • Family reunification

    This includes reuniting with a spouse or immediately family member who has a visa or citizenship. Proof of relation must be provided.

  • Secondary school education and university studies

    You’ll need to prove enrollment.

  • Scientific research

    Contact the MUP for specific guidelines on how to show purpose of research in Croatia.

  • Humanitarian grounds

    This includes volunteer work. This visa can be valuable to those who have no valid grounds for staying in Croatia. For example, let’s say your boyfriend has a visa to stay in Croatia. You aren’t married, so you can’t apply for a visa under Family Reunification. If he is able to support you with his salary, you can apply to volunteer under this visa scheme. You’ll need to have a contract with an employer or agency for the volunteer work that states you are not being paid.

  • Work

    This is a straight work permit initiated by the employer. These are extremely rare. Croatia recently decided to further limit the number of work visas issued to non-EEA nationals due to high unemployment.

  • Work for other purposes

    This is a generic catchall for other work situations. For example, you could start a Croatian company, then issue yourself a work contract from your own company. This scenario will allow you to apply for a visa.

  • Miscellaneous Visa for non-EU Nationals

    A temporary stay (up to a year) may be granted to non-EU nationals without a concrete purpose for the stay. This temporary permit is only for 1 year and requires that you prepay both rent and state health insurance for the entire term of your visa. You must also provide proof of funds to support yourself. This amount can vary drastically and is dictated by the policija. They will give you the amount you must have to prove financial stability. Please note that this visa is not renewable and does not allow you to work. Here are all the details you need on this visa.

For information on the Croatia visa process and what you need for your visa application, check out our other posts.

The following two tabs change content below.
Sara is an American expat based in Split. After globetrotting between New York, Amsterdam and California, she moved to Croatia in 2012. Sara's blog Expat in Croatia is a guide for foreigners living and traveling in Croatia.

Latest posts by Expat in Croatia (see all)