How tourists are registered with the police: Guide for 2022

This post has been verified with the ministry and tourist boards.
Image by Dubrovnik Times

UPDATED: 21/10/2021

Every person physically in Croatia must be registered with the police, regardless of status. The police handle all immigration matters in Croatia and operate within the ministry called “Ministarstvo unutarnjih poslova” or “MUP” for short.

If you plan to live in Croatia long-term and have not yet registered with the police, hop over to this post.

If you are a tourist that will be here for less than 90 days OR you own accommodation in Croatia, this post is for you. Considering the pandemic, it is even more vital that the government know where everyone is.

In this post, we’ll cover:

The facts are these…

Who must be registered with Croatian police

Every single person in Croatian territory must be registered, regardless of whether they are staying in a tourist accommodation, with a friend or family member, or camping. Everybody must be on record with the police including when they arrive in Croatia, where they are staying, and when they depart.

EU nationals are not exempt from this. Yes, you can freely travel to Croatia but you still have to let Croatia know you are here. If you’re an EU national that wishes to live in Croatia long-term, you will need to apply for residence. [Read: How EU citizens can get temporary residence in Croatia]

Whose responsibility is it to register with the police

Owners of tourist accommodation facilities are required to register all guests with an overnight stay with the government. If you’re staying with family or a friend, the owner of the property needs to register you. They are required by law to do this.

Tourists cannot register themselves.

Owners must check-in their guests within 24 hours of arrival at the accommodation and check out must be done within a period of 24 hours after guests leave.

If your accommodation owner doesn’t ask for your ID within the first 24 hours, alarm bells should go off. That means they don’t plan to register you, likely because it isn’t a legal accommodation. You need to insist that they register you. If your eventual plan is to apply for long-term residence, then not being registered as a tourist could complicate that plan.

The obligation to report tourist stays applies to:

  • Owners of accommodation facilities that offer a service of an overnight stay
  • Owners of nautical tourism vessels that offer a service of an overnight stay
  • Owners of accommodation in households
  • Owners of family farms
  • Owners of houses and apartments for vacation
  • Citizens of tourist cities and municipalities
  • Owners or users of vessels who pay a tourist fee per overnight stay

How tourists in Croatia are registered

A tourist’s stay in Croatia can be reported in 2 ways:

  • Online using Visitor – This option is available only to renters of tourist accommodation
  • In-person at an administrative MUP station – This option is available to everyone

[Read: How to find administrative police stations in Croatia]

Registration via eVisitor

Registration can be done via eVisitor, which is an online system for checking in and checking out tourists. Only renters of tourist accommodation can use eVisitor to report their guests. Everyone else must be reported in person at MUP.

eVisitor is available here in 7 languages including:

  • Croatian
  • Czech
  • English
  • German
  • Italian
  • Russian
  • Slovenian.

Tourists’ personal data is entered on the basis of their ID cards, passports, or other state-issued identity documents. The data required is noted in the next section.

Login to eVisitor is possible via:

  • e-Građani user account
  • Login data that can be obtained from local tourist boards
    • Contact information for all Croatian tourist boards can be found here

Registration in person at an administrative police station

Registration of tourists is also possible to do in person at MUP administrative police stations. [Read: How to find administrative police stations in Croatia]

In this case, owners of the accommodation must go to MUP and bring their own personal ID cards as well as the tourists’ ID cards or passports with them. Passports are mandatory for third-country citizens from non-EU nations. Citizens of EU Member States can present their ID cards or passports.

Registration can be done at the foreigner desk called “Šalter za strance”. Sometimes it is just labeled “Stranci”.

What information do the police need on you

Below is the list of all mandatory and optional data that may be provided for each tourist.

  1. Smještaj (Accomodation)
    1. Objekt (Name of accommodation) – mandatory
    2. Smještajna jedinica (Type of accommodation) – optional
  2. Boravak (stay)
    1. Datum boravka od (datum dolaska (arrival date)) – mandatory
    2. Vrijeme boravka od (vrijeme dolaska (time of arrival)) – mandatory
    3. Datum boravka do (predviđeni datum odlaska (estimated departure date)) – mandatory
    4. Vrijeme boravka do (predviđeno vrijeme odlaska (estimated departure time)) – mandatory
  3. Isprava o identitetu (identity document)
    1. Vrsta isprave (document type) – mandatory
    2. Broj isprave (document number) – mandatory
  4. Turist (tourist)
    1. Prezime (surname) – mandatory
    2. Ime (name) – mandatory
    3. Srednje ime (middle name) – optional
    4. Spol (gender) – mandatory
  5. Prebivalište (residence)
    1. Država (country) – mandatory
    2. Grad (city) – mandatory
    3. Adresa (address) – optional
  6. Rođenje (birth)
    1. Država (country) – mandatory
    2. Grad (city) – optional
    3. Datum rođenja (date of birth) – mandatory
  7. Državljanstvo (citizenship)
    1. Država (country) – mandatory
  8. Kategorija obveznika boravišne pristojbe (category of residence tax payer)
    1. Kategorija obveznika boravišne pristojbe (category of residence tax payer) – mandatory
  9. Kontakt (contact)
    1. E-mail (e-mail) – optional
    2. Telefon (phone in a valid form such as +3850000000) – optional
  10. Organizacija dolaska (arrival organization)
    1. Organizacija dolaska (Individual or tourist agency arrival) – mandatory
  11. Vrsta usluge (type of service)
    1. Vrsta usluge (type of service such as “overnight stay”) – mandatory

Below is what the eVisitor form looks like.

eVisitor form for registering tourists in Croatia
Image by eVisitor

What’s next?

If you’re a tourist that intends to apply for long-term residence in Croatia, here are your next steps:

Check out our other tourism posts


Please note: All information provided by Expat in Croatia is only for the purposes of guidance. It does not constitute legal or financial advice in any form. For legal advice, you must consult with a licensed Croatian lawyer. For financial advice, you must consult with a licensed Croatian tax advisor or accountant. We can recommend one if you contact us.

Sharing is Caring:
Subscribe to the Expat in Croatia Newsletter and get our FREE Croatia Starter Kit.
I'm already subscribed.