How to obtain a life partnership for same-sex couples in Croatia: Guide for 2021

Image by Source

UPDATED: 09/09/2021

In Croatia, same-sex couples do not have the right to marriage by law. However, they can enter into a life partnership which is a legally approved union between two people of the same sex.

Foreign nationals can enter into a life partnership in Croatia under the same conditions as Croatian nationals.

In this post, we cover:

The facts are these…

What is a life partnership

Same-sex partners cannot get legally married in Croatia. According to Croatian laws, only heterosexual couples can get married in Croatia.

However, there is another type of union that same-sex couples can enter legally in Croatia. It is officially called “životno partnerstvo”, which means life partnership.

The Law of Same-Sex Life Partnership was passed in Croatia on August 6, 2014. It is called “Zakon o životnom partnerstvu” and is available here. This law represents the legal basis for registering a union of two people of the same sex that want to form a socially-recognized union or a family in Croatia.

Life partnership can be registered at any matični ured (registrar’s office) in Croatia by a person called “matičar” (registrar). Life partnership cannot be registered in a Croatian embassy or consular mission outside of Croatia. A registrar doesn’t have the right to refuse the request for a conclusion of life partnership if you meet all the requirements. Otherwise, this is considered discrimination.

[Read: Rights of the LGBTQIA+ community in Croatia]

If you are a foreign national, you can enter a life partnership in Croatia under the same conditions as Croatian nationals. It is not required to have Croatian residence or Croatian nationality to enter a life partnership in Croatia. In this case, you will only have to enclose additional documents.

People who enter a life partnership in Croatia have granted rights on the territory of the EU/EEA according to the Law of Same-Sex Life Partnership, regardless of how an individual country regulates same-sex relationships.

Non-EU/EEA citizens (third-country nationals) can request residence in Croatia under the same rules and regulations as opposite-sex couples if they form a life partnership with a Croatian citizen. [Read: How non-EU/EEA spouses of Croatians can apply for residence]

Requirements for concluding a life partnership

Formation of a life partnership may be granted:

  • To people of the same sex, if they are older than 18
  • When they declare their consent to enter into a life partnership
  • When a ceremony of registration has been performed in front of the Registrar

Persons who are deprived of the legal capacity to make statements relating to strictly personal conditions can enter a life partnership with the approval of their guardian.

Formation of a life partnership can’t be granted to:

  • People under the age of 18
  • People incapable of reasoning
  • Blood relatives in the direct line, and in the lateral line up to the 4th degree
  • People who are already in a life partnership or married

Similar to forming a civil marriage in Croatia, same-sex couples first need to decide on:

  • Approximate time and location of their ceremony
  • Who their witnesses will be (One per spouse, who is a legally-capable adult)
  • Changes to their last name, if any

How to form a life partnership in Croatia

#1 Choose the time and date

The very first step for you and your partner is choosing the exact date and time of your future ceremony. You can enter a life partnership within a registrar’s office or somewhere outside of the office.

If you pick up an outdoor location or a time that is outside of the registrar’s working hours, be ready to pay for an additional cost.

You will be charged by:

  • Distance from the registrar – Fee is charged per kilometer
  • Day of the week – Fee is higher on Sunday
  • Hours of the day – Fee is higher after working hours

#2 Prepare the documentation

Below are lists of required documentation depending on whether you are a Croatian or foreign national. However, a registrar may ask for other documents depending on an individual case and location. It is recommended to call them in advance to confirm requirements.

A list of all registrar offices in Croatia including their contact information, organized by Croatian counties, is available here.

Croatian nationals

If you are a Croatian national, you are required to enclose a document that proves your identity such as an ID card or a passport.

If you are a Croatian national born outside of Croatia and you are not yet registered in the Croatian Book of births called “Matica rođenih”, you must do that first. [Read: How to register a person in the Book of births]

Foreign nationals

Foreign nationals must enclose:

  • ID card or passport
  • Proof of citizenship
  • Birth certificate issued in the country of their birth
  • Certificate proving they are not in a life partnership or marriage issued in the country of their residence such as a “Certificate of Free Marital Status”
  • Proof of residence, if you have a Croatian residence

Birth certificates and certificates proving you’re not in a life partnership or marriage must be apostilled/legalized then officially translated into Croatian. [Read: How to prepare your foreign documents for use in Croatia]

Certain countries that do not recognize any form of same-sex family union may offer bureaucratic resistance when issuing the necessary documentation. This may happen when issuing a certificate that proves that a person is not in a life partnership or marriage, i.e. certificate of free marital status.

Countries that are members of the Council of Europe (Vijeće Europe) are required to issue this certificate to members of the LGBTQIA+ community. [Read: LGBTQIA+ Web sites and Facebook communities]

#3 Notify the registrar

The next step is to visit the registrar’s office. It is common to get married in a registrar’s office closest to your Croatian residency or where your ceremony will take place, but you can go to any office. You have to visit the registrar 30-45 days before the date of the ceremony.

[Read: How to register or change your address with the Croatian police]

At the registrar, you will declare your intention to be joined as partners and fill out the application form. At that time, the registrar will inform you if there are any impediments to the desired date of the ceremony, location, or last name. Both you and your future spouse must be present. You will also have to choose your future surname.

Usually, the ceremony cannot take place less than 30 days after making this declaration, but exceptions may be granted in special circumstances. If you desire a different location for the ceremony, it can be arranged but it will cost extra for the officiant to travel from the registrar’s office.

A list of all registrar offices in Croatia, organized by Croatian counties, is available here.

Choosing a surname

When choosing a surname, partners may agree that:

  • Every partner will keep their surname
  • They will take the surname of one partner as their common surname
  • They will take both surnames and decide which one will be used in the first place and which one in the second place
  • Each of them will take the surname of their partner in addition to their surname and decide which one will be used in the first place and which one in the second place

#4 Confirm your intention

You have to reconfirm your intention with the registrar 3 days before the ceremony. Visit the office in person together with your partner.

If at least one spouse is a foreign national, you will need to have a court translator accompany you to the registrar as well as be present for your ceremony. An option without a translator is possible for nationals of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, and Montenegro.

The registrar will print out the intention to conclude a life partnership and you will sign it. If there were any changes, now is the right time to inform the registrar.

You will also have to pay the administrative costs that are listed below.

Administrative fees

Administrative fees for a life partnership include:

  • Life partnership agreement – 70 kuna
  • Act of establishing a life partnership before the registrar – 140 kuna
  • Travel fee if the ceremony will take place outside of the registrar’s office

Travel fee pricing rules

  • Day of the week – On Saturday, Sunday, holidays, and non-working days, the fee increases by 100%
  • Hours of the day – Fee is higher in the late afternoon and evening
    • 8:00 – 15:59 – Fee is 20% of the base
    • 16:00 – 19:59 – Fee is 30% of the base
    • 20:00 – 22:00 – Fee is 50% of the base
  • Distance from the registrar – Fee is charged per kilometer
    • If the location is up to 10 kilometers away from the registrar’s office – Fee is 10% of the base
    • If the location is more than 10 kilometers away from the registrar’s office – Fee is 1% per kilometer, but not higher than 30% of the base

Fees can be paid via:

  • Tax stamps – At the registrar’s office
  • Uplatnica at a bank or postal office – Return to the registrar after payment to provide proof of payment

[Read: What is a tax stamp and why do you need them]

[Read: How to pay bills in Croatia]

#5 Life partnership ceremony

On the day of the ceremony, you must have:

  • 1 witness per spouse and a copy of their passport
    • Witnesses must be business-capable adult persons.
    • Passport copies do not need to be notarized.
  • Court translator

The life partnership ceremony usually lasts 15 minutes. During the ceremony, the registrar will introduce you to the provisions of the law, your rights, and your duties.

At the end of the ceremony, both spouses have to confirm their new life partnership by signing the official statement of consent. Their witnesses and the registrar will also sign this statement. The registrar will enter a life partnership into the Croatian Registry of Life Partnerships called “Registar životnog partnerstva”.

The ceremony ends after the registrar, court translator, and other guests congratulate the couple.

#6 Pick up your documents

As proof of your life partnership, you can request a certificate called “Potvrda o životnom partnerstvu” (Life partnership certificate). You can pick this up at the registrar’s office or online via e-Građani application.

However, you may need to get more paperwork if:

  • You want a life partnership certificate in a different language
  • Your country does not have a treaty in place with Croatia

You want a life partnership certificate in a different language

It is possible to get a life partnership certificate in your native language in some countries. In this case, a certificate in a foreign language must be fully legalized.

Your country does not have a treaty in place with Croatia

If your home country doesn’t have a treaty with Croatia, your Croatian life partnership won’t be recognized in your home country without additional paperwork. In this case, a life partnership must be “fully legalized” to be officially recognized.

This verification is a separate process that you must go through in person. However, someone else can do it instead of you if you are prevented. We can introduce you to a vetted lawyer if you contact us and they’ll help you with the legalization procedure.

The full legalization procedure of a life partnership is described below.

Step 1 – Translate a life partnership certificate

The life partnership certificate must be translated into the native language by a “sudski tumač” (court translator) in Croatia. If you need a recommendation, feel free to contact us and we will introduce you to one.

Step 2 – Verify the certificate at court

Take your officially translated life partnership certificate to the competent municipal court according to the location of the institution that issued your certificate. The court will then verify your certificate.

A list of all municipal courts in Croatia is available here.

Step 3 – Verify the certificate at the Ministry of Justice in Zagreb

The next step is to verify your life partnership certificate at the Ministarstvo pravosuđa in Zagreb. They must verify the signature of the municipal judge and the stamp. The administrative cost is 30 kuna.

Ministry of Justice
Ulica grada Vukovara 49
10 000 Zagreb (view map)

Working hours

  • Monday to Thursday – 9:00 to 11:00, 13:00 to 15:00
  • Friday – 9:00 to 12:00

Step 4 – Verify the certificate at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Another verification is required from the Ministarstvo vanjskih i europskih poslova in Zagreb. They verify the signature of the official persons and the stamp from the Ministarstvo pravosuđa. Bring a copy of the certificate and an ID card (if you are an EU citizen) or a passport.

Go to the department Uprava za konzularne poslove / Sektor za međunarodnu pravnu pomoć, državljanstvo i putne isprave / Služba za međunarodnu pravnu pomoć.

The administrative cost is 55 kuna. It is possible to pay this cost with tax stamps. [Read: What is a tax stamp and why do you need them]

Fees higher than 100 kuna are paid directly to the bank account of the State Budget of the Republic of Croatia.

Payment information:

Državni proračun Republike Hrvatske
IBAN: 121001005186300016
Model number 64
Reference number: 5002-721-[Insert your OIB]

Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Petretićev trg 2
10 000 Zagreb (view map)

[Read: How to pay bills in Croatia]

Step 5 – Verify the certificate at the nearest embassy

The last thing you must do is to go to the foreign diplomatic mission in Croatia for the country where you wish to use a life partnership certificate. You can go to the closest one to Croatia if your country doesn’t have a diplomatic mission in Croatia.

[Read: All the foreign embassies and consulates in Croatia]

Step 6 – Additional verification in your home country (if needed)

Some countries require verification from their Ministry of Internal Affairs or equivalent institution.

A list of countries that require the full legalization process is available here. A list of countries that don’t require full legalization is available here.

[Read: Apostille versus full legalization of documents]

Partnerships created outside Croatia

If a same-sex union was registered outside of Croatia, the couple may register their union in Croatia. To do so, contact the registrar’s office closest to your registered address and inquire about adding your union to the Croatian Registry of Life Partnerships.

It is allowed by law for two people who are not Croatian citizens to have their life partnership registered in Croatia, as citizenship is not a prerequisite for having the partnership recognized in Croatia.

What is an informal life partnership

The same law regulating life partnership also regulates the rights and relations of informal life partnership (neformalno životno partnerstvo), also known as “common law”.

Article 3 of the law stipulates that informal life-partnership is a community of family life of two persons of the same sex, who have not entered into a life partnership before the competent body but have lived in a lasting union for at least 3 years. These two persons mustn’t live in another informal union or informal life partnership.

This is similar to the stipulations valid for a common-law union of persons of the opposite sex, which in Croatia is recognized as equal to a marriage. If they want to get certain rights from the Law of Same-Sex Life Partnership, same-sex partners can confirm their informal life partnership at the notary public. This means that the notary will make a statement that will serve as proof that you and your partner are in an informal life partnership. [Read: How to get something notarized]

Article 4 of the Law of Same-Sex Life Partnerships says:

Neformalno životno partnerstvo u području nasljeđivanja, poreznog sustava, mirovinskog osiguranja, sustava socijalne skrbi, obveznog zdravstvenog osiguranja i zdravstvene zaštite, prava i obveza iz radnih odnosa, pristupa javnim i tržišnim uslugama te javnopravnog položaja stvara iste učinke, koji su posebnim propisima kojima se uređuju ta područja, priznati izvanbračnoj zajednici.

Which translates as:

Informal life partnership in the field of inheritance, tax system, pension insurance, social welfare system, compulsory health insurance and health care, rights and obligations from labor relations, access to public and market services, and public law status creates the same effects as special regulations that are recognized to the common law union by special regulations governing these areas.

Informal life partnership is based on equality, and mutual respect, and assistance as well as other family unions. In case of a dispute, an informal life partnership must be proven by a competent court.

Rights of life partnerships and adoption

The law regarding same-sex partnerships states that Croatia will “create conditions that will make available to the same-sex communities all the instruments they need to jointly successfully build their family lives.” However, this differs from reality, although a crucial decision was brought by a Croatian court in May 2021.

When one of the spouses has a child or children from a previous relationship, the other spouse can request from the municipal court (in the child’s place of residence) to be appointed as a partner-guardian. However, this is only possible when the child or children in question do not already have a legal parent.

For example, if two women have entered into a life partnership and one of them has children from her previous marriage, the new spouse may not legally adopt her spouse’s children if the father is living and has not lost his parental rights. The most the new spouse can hope for is to be a “stepmother” to the children. All the rights and obligations still fall onto the biological parents.

If two women have a child together via an egg donor and the sperm donor has not petitioned for his parental rights, then the mother who did not give birth may petition the municipal court to be appointed a partner-guardian. The court will ask the corresponding social welfare center for their opinion. If all goes well, the other spouse can be appointed a partner-guardian with the same rights and obligations as someone who legally adopts a child.

In May 2021, a historical decision was brought by the Croatian court. Same-sex life partners in Croatia will now be able to adopt children. This decision was based on a case of two same-sex life partners who fought for the right to adopt for the last 5 years (until May 2021). The court decided in their favor.

This historical decision created the opportunity for all same-sex life partners to adopt children without discrimination. To start the adoption process, life partners must contact the closest Center for Social Welfare (Centar za socijalnu skrb) and apply for an adoption evaluation. We will keep you posted.

[Read: How to adopt a child and adoption by foreigners]

The first same-sex life partnership was registered in Zagreb between a Croatian and Serbian citizen on September 5, 2014. The formation of this life partnership enabled Ivan, a citizen of Serbia, to petition for a temporary stay in Croatia, which he was successfully granted.

[Read: How non-EU/EEA spouses of Croatians can apply for residence]

If you’ve entered a life partnership in Croatia or you are in an informal life partnership, please share your experience with us.

View other partnership posts


Please note: All information provided by Expat in Croatia is only for the purposes of guidance. It does not constitute legal advice in any form. For legal advice, you must consult with a licensed Croatian lawyer. We can recommend one if you contact us.

Sharing is Caring:

8 thoughts on “How to obtain a life partnership for same-sex couples in Croatia: Guide for 2021

  1. Daniel O'Connell
    May 4, 2021 @ 6:50 pm

    Hi! I have to add my international “life partnership” union to the Croatian Registry of Life Partnerships in Zagreb. But i cant find the email of the Registrar’s Office to ask what i need to do to add it.
    Do you know? Thanks a lot!


    • Marija Tkalec
      May 5, 2021 @ 4:36 pm

      Hi Daniel,

      Here is the list with contact information for registrar’s offices in Zagreb according to neighborhoods:

      Try to reach “Središnji Odsjek za sklapanje brakova i životog partnerstva”: [email protected]

      Good luck,


  2. Danilo
    July 22, 2021 @ 4:12 pm


    Does Croatia recognise same-sex marriages for the purpose of family reunification?
    We are legally married in Brazil and I would like my spouse to relocate to Croatia with me.

    Thank you for the great content.


    • Marija Tkalec
      July 23, 2021 @ 11:55 am

      Hi Danilo,

      Same-sex marriages that were registered outside of Croatia are recognized as marriages in Croatia. This means that your spouse can apply for residence based on family reunification.

      Thank you for reading Expat in Croatia and good luck with the application!

      Warm regards,


  3. rsmith
    August 6, 2021 @ 12:13 am

    Thank you for the very helpful article.

    I am South African and my future life partner is Croatian. Would I be able to enter Croatia on a Schengen Visa (which I have done before) and then register a Life Partnership together in Zagreb me as a tourist and him as a Croat? Or is there a specific visa or permission needed before for this is to take place?

    Same sex marriage is legally allowed in South Africa. Would there be any benefits in my Croatian partner travelling to South Africa for us to get married here as same sex partners and then for us to validate our foreign marriage in Croatia as it will be accepted as a marriage? Would I again just be able to travel as a tourist on a Schengen Visa to Croatia with my partner?


  4. Marija
    August 20, 2021 @ 10:42 am

    Dear Expat Team,
    Thank you for the amazing help and advice you give it here!!
    My partner (UK citizen) and I(Croatian citizen living in UK) are planing to move to Croatia.
    We are living together for many years in UK and both are not really so keen to be married.
    As much as I could find out ,in Croatia the common law union is only rekognized for the same sex parnerships.Which we are not.Is there any other way to get us together living in Croatia without having to get merried maybe?


    • Marija Tkalec
      August 27, 2021 @ 4:38 pm

      Hi Marija,

      In Croatia, your partnership is called “izvanbračna zajednica”. Since you are a Croatian citizen, your partner can apply for a temporary residence in Croatia based on family reunification called “privremeni boravak u svrhu spajanja obitelji”.

      This article is for you: It includes all the steps and the documentation that is needed for the process.

      Warm regards,


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Subscribe to the Expat in Croatia Newsletter and get a FREE GUIDE to the 9 Tips for Battling Croatia's Bureaucracy.