Restrictions on travel while you have legal residence in Croatia: Guide for 2021

This post has been verified with the ministry handling immigration.
Croatia travel restrictions
Image by Eugene Wineblat

One of the most common (and most ironic) questions I am asked about living in Croatia is “how long can I be gone from Croatia?”.

If you’ve decided to take the plunge into the bureaucratic abyss that is Croatian immigration, then you’re probably a traveler at heart. We all need and want to travel outside Croatia from time to time. It is inevitable and sometimes, required to keep our sanity.

However, there are restrictions on how long you can be gone from Croatia when you hold a residence permit. If you surpass these restrictions, then your legal residency can be jeopardized. It is vital that you know and understand the limits before taking an extended leave from the country.

Understandably, Croatia does not want people gaining legal residency and then spending most of their time elsewhere. In this post, we’ll cover the limits for both temporary residency and permanent residency depending on your nationality.

In the eyes of the Croatian government, there are three types of “nationality” that determine your particular travel restrictions:

  • EU/EGP citizens
  • UK citizens (in post-Brexit Europe)
  • Third-country citizens

Third country means anyone who is not EU/EEA/EGP, so Americans, Brazilians, Canadians, Malaysians, South Africans and Australians are all considered “third country”. Brits post-Brexit are also considered third-country, but those who already held residence at the end of 2020 will continue to enjoy certain privileges.

Jump to sections that include:

Temporary residents in Croatia

#1 If you are a temporary resident and an EU/EEA citizen (or family member of an EU/EEA citizen)

If you have temporary residency and are EU/EGP citizen, then you can be gone up to 6 months per year. If you need to be gone longer (up to a year) you can do so for childbirth, illness, study or vocational training as long as you notify MUP (the police) first.

If you are gone longer than 6 months, or gone longer than 1 year without permission, your residence permit and the permits of those tied to you can be cancelled.

The requirements for EU/EEA citizens also apply to their nuclear family members, even if they are third-country nationals if they have residence based on family reunification. To be more clear, if you are married to a Croatian citizen, then you can be gone up to 6 months per year.

#2 If you are a UK citizen that had legal residence at the end of 2020.

UK citizens who are granted temporary residence before the end of 2020, will also have the above privileges throughout the duration of their permit.

#3 If you are a temporary resident and a third-country citizen

If you have temporary residency in Croatia, the law on foreigners states that third-country nationals cannot leave Croatia for more than 30 continuous days each year. However, in practice MUP (the police who manage immigration) say that you cannot be gone for more than 30 days in a year, continuous or not.

There are exceptions to this. If you need to be gone for more than 30 days, go speak to MUP about it. Usually if you explain your situation to them, you can get an exception.

This is not a situation where you can do it and ask for forgiveness later. You MUST let them know if you will be gone longer than the defined limit. Otherwise, you can be fined and/or your permit will be jeopardized. If you are gone more than 30 continuous days, then MUP can cancel your temporary residence permit.

The other thing to consider is permanent residency. After 5 years of continuous temporary residency, you will qualify to apply for permanent residency. During the permanent residency process, your travel records will be reviewed. If you are gone more than 10 months or once for more than 6 months over the course of 5 years, you may be denied permanent residency.

Permanent residents in Croatia

#1 If you are a permanent resident and an EU/EGP citizen

Your permanent residency will be cancelled if you are gone for more than two years without a relevant excuse and proper advance notification given to MUP. This also applies to your immediate family members who are third-country nationals with residence based on family reunification.

#2 If you are a permanent resident and a UK citizen

Per the UK’s agreement for withdrawal from the EU, UK citizens with permanent residence in Croatia can only lose their permanent residence if they leave Croatia for more than 5 years. The EU giving the UK and its nationals preferential treatment over EU citizens from countries who aren’t leaving the EU may sound odd, but that’s the agreement.

#3 If you are a permanent resident and a third-country citizen

Your long-term residency will be canceled if:

  • Your have resided outside the EEA territory for a continuous period of 12 months
  • Your have resided outside of Croatia for more than 6 years

Other things to consider

If you need to be gone beyond the limit, it is important to know that family is the most accepted and valued excuse for extended travel.

If your permit will expire while you are traveling, make sure you start the application for your new permit BEFORE leaving. You are required to visit MUP two months prior to the expiration of your permit to start your next application. You must have a valid permit at all times.

If your permit lapses, you will be forced to leave Croatia for at least 90 days. Depending on your situation, you may need to re-apply for a permit from abroad before you can re-enter the country.

When it comes to preserving your legal residency in Croatia, honesty and transparency are always the best policies. Be up front with MUP about your extended travel plans. Here is a list of all of the MUP offices by city.

Sharing is Caring:

22 thoughts on “Restrictions on travel while you have legal residence in Croatia: Guide for 2021

  1. Michael J. Bluth
    February 5, 2020 @ 12:49 pm

    Dear Sara,

    My wife and I are retired Americans who have been living here in Croatia for almost ten years. We have been living with annual temporary visas for this time. Our local police department will not consider an extension for five years or even to extend our one year visa. They are requiring us to leave the country for 90 days or more and then on return to register as tourists. Then, we are allowed to reapply for another temporary visa. This is tedious. We really would like to establish permanent residence or at the very least a five year term. Any suggestions?


    • Expat in Croatia
      February 7, 2020 @ 2:13 pm

      Hi Michael,

      You should have qualified to apply for permanent residency after 5 years of continuous temporary residency. Is MUP saying you cannot apply for permanent residence? If so, what reason are they giving you?




      • Anna Kirkland
        July 27, 2020 @ 9:08 am

        My husband and I are retired and are waiting gor approval for a one year residency visa. Since we are required to leave for six month after a one year stay, it makes it impossible to even meet the requiremennts of five continuous years to even apply for permanent residency. How in the world you can get 5-year residency in Croatia if the have requirements but then make impossible for you to fulfill them?


        • Expat in Croatia
          July 27, 2020 @ 11:09 am

          Hi Anna,

          Thanks for the question!

          That is the point, they don’t want non-EU citizens to qualify for permanent residency. There are very few scenarios that allow non-EU residents the opportunity to be here for 5 continuous years. The only options in your situation would be to get a work contract with a Croatian company or start your own business, which requires you to hire 3 Croatians full time and invest 200.000 kuna into the business. If you want to read about this option, you can do so here:

          Wish I had better news for you!




  2. Lucija
    February 18, 2020 @ 8:50 pm

    Howdy Sara,

    FWIW, I was out of Croatia for an average of one week per month most of 2019 and for two solid months during the fall when I had to fly back to the US for family-related reasons. My lawyer told me not to worry about the 30 days rules—despite being a third country citizen with Temporary Residency here—because I was in the process of being approved (or not) for citizenship and was in the system. Reentering Croatia was always a breeze. (Perhaps the universe making amends for my herky-Jerky citizenship process?)

    I do have a friend—a third country citizen seeking Permanent Residency—who had her timeline set back a couple months for going over 30 days.

    I’m happy to follow up on this thread regarding the 30 days rule as the hubby and I venture into the “third country citizen married to an EU citizen” phase of life.


    • Expat in Croatia
      February 19, 2020 @ 12:05 pm

      Heya Lucija,

      Thanks for sharing! It seems like there is no way to tell when and what they will care or not care about. Rhyme and reason are not a thing here.

      It’s great to have real-life experiences for this, so thank you again for sharing this as I’m sure it will be helpful to others. 🙂




  3. Tony
    January 5, 2021 @ 5:02 pm

    Hello Sara

    I have a question. I am third country national married to a crotian citizen . I have permanent residence permit.

    Wil i loose my permanent residence permit if i leave croatia for more than year since i am married to a Croatian national (EU Citizen)


  4. eliza
    February 1, 2021 @ 7:18 pm

    Dear. I am from third country and have croatian residence permit, and working and studying in croatia at same time. Now i need to stay in France for 4 month for school exchange. And during this 4 months i will keep working for croatian company and pay tax in croatia. I emailed MUP should i provide any documents to them so i can stay outside of croatia more than 30 days, but they didn’t give me any usefull answer.


    • Expat in Croatia
      February 2, 2021 @ 8:55 am

      Hi Eliza,

      You’ll need to get permission from MUP to be gone for this period of time.




      • Eliza
        February 3, 2021 @ 2:19 pm

        Hi Sara,
        Thanks for your replying.
        It’s so strange that MUP replied me that I don’t have to explain them my situation but to zagreb police department, however, zagreb poice department told me earlier to email MUP. And some friend had special situation had to leave croatia more than 30 days, his company sent a official post mail to MUP, also didn’t get any reply. This is just too difficult for a third nation people, especially during this pandemic time, 30 days is way too tight to leave and go back.


        • Expat in Croatia
          February 4, 2021 @ 9:39 am

          Hi Eliza,

          Yes, it can be very difficult for third-country nationals, and sometimes even for EU citizens. The only other thing I can think of is to use a lawyer to sort this out for you. You shouldn’t have to go this route, but sometimes it is the only option. If you’d like a recommendation, please contact me here.




  5. Mia
    February 10, 2021 @ 6:35 pm

    Dear Sara,

    If I understand correctly, the spouse of a Croatian citizen can leave Croatia up to 6 months without losing the temporary residence, right? Is there a limit for each departure?

    In addition, if I leave Croatia for 6 months, do I have to keep an address in Croatia after I left the country? That would be a big expenses renting some flat without living there.

    Best regards!



    • Expat in Croatia
      February 16, 2021 @ 12:26 pm

      Hi Mia,

      You must physically be in Croatia at least 183 days each year. How you split that up is your decision.




  6. Shane
    March 16, 2021 @ 11:56 am

    Dear Sara,

    I would like to find out as a spouse of a Croatian citizen I understand that I may be out of Croatia for a total of 6 months during 4 continuous years in order to apply for permanent residency. Whilst waiting for the permanent residency to be approved am I allowed out of Croatia if i have used the 6 months?


    • Expat in Croatia
      March 25, 2021 @ 11:59 pm

      Hi Shane,

      The rule is that you cannot be out of Croatia more than 6 month per year while having temporary residence.




  7. Sash
    April 3, 2021 @ 11:37 am

    Hi, I want to apply for a ‘temp digital nomad visa’ which is like a temp resident permit.
    Which is correct from the two below:
    1) I can leave Croatia to travel back to the UK for no more than 30 days within a year
    2) I can leave Croatia for 30 days at any time within the year or 6 months as long as it does not exceed more than 30 days?


    • Marija Tkalec
      April 6, 2021 @ 2:16 pm

      Hi Sash,

      you can leave Croatia for a period of up to 30 days within a year or several times but not longer than 90 days in total within a year (from the day when your permit was issued). If you have to leave Croatia for a period of more than 90 days (all at once) due to justified reasons, you must contact MUP.



  8. Sash
    April 3, 2021 @ 11:40 am

    Also, does anyone know the entry/exit rule for the 90/180 rule for British Nationals?
    Is multiple entry allowed in Croatia as long as it does not exceed 90 days within the 180 days? (for tourism and personal)
    Thank you


    • Expat in Croatia
      April 11, 2021 @ 2:26 pm

      Hi Sash,

      You can be in Croatia 90 days within a 180-day period, starting from your first entry. Multiple entries is fine.




  9. Mohamed Faouzi
    April 23, 2021 @ 10:29 pm

    Hello dear
    I’m third country citizen married with croatian women and i have residance permit of croatia, me and my wife we want to travel this summer to spain, do i need visa or because i have residence of croatia i can travel all Europe normal?


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Subscribe to the Expat in Croatia Newsletter and get a FREE GUIDE to the 9 Tips for Battling Croatia's Bureaucracy.