How to register a new child in Croatia (in 2021)

Image by Abeceda-roditeljstva

Does your family have a newborn member? There are two ways your new child can qualify to be registered in Croatia and receive the associated benefits:

    • You are Croatian and had a child while abroad
    • You are a resident of Croatia and had a child while abroad
    • You are Croatian and had a child while living in Croatia
    • You are a resident of Croatia and had a child while living in Croatia

In order to acquire all guaranteed rights, this post will walk you through where, when and how you can register your newborn child. In future posts, we’ll cover registering children through adoption and children brought from abroad as party of their family’s relocation to Croatia.

How to register a child born in Croatia

When it comes to the child registration process in Croatia, the following needs to be achieved:

    1. The government needs to be notified that a birth has taken place
    2. The newborn needs to be granted an unique identification number, known as OIB
    3. The newborn has to be given a name

Notifying the government of the birth

The majority of children in Croatia are born in the hospitals. In this situation, the hospital will notify the Registrar’s Office of the birth.

There is no official regulation that prohibits home births, but you may not have a trained medical professional assist you in a home birth. An expectant mother is allowed to hire a midwife from other countries, which have more established practices when it comes to home births, like Italy or Austria.

Regardless, sometimes home births happen unexpectedly when the baby can’t wait any longer. In the case of a home birth, anyone present at the birth can notify the Registrar’s office. Usually, the person registering the birth will be one of the following:

  • The mother of the child
  • The father of the child
  • A witness to the birth
  • The midwife that helped in the birth of the child
  • A person who found out about the birth of the child

The deadline to register, whether the child was born in a healthcare institution or not, is 15 days from the birth of the child.

Next Steps

If the child was registered by the hospital administration, the facility will notify the nearest Registrar’s office that a birth has taken place. From that moment on, the parents have two options to complete the process:

The E-Citizen platform is for Croatians citizens. To use this tool, you must have a national ID (osobna iskaznica) with a chip and the associated ID card reader (a device that connects to computers using a USB cable). Temporary and permanent residents are not issued this type of ID.

Foreign parents must visit the Registrar in person. Detail on registering both through E-Citizen and in person at the Registrar are described in detail below.

First, we’ll go through the steps to register in person. After, we’ll go over the E-Citizen option.

Naming the Child

The deadline for giving a name to the child is 30 days after the birth. Parents can choose any name they like, as long as the choice of words embodies a name.

The surname of the child depends on the surname of the parents. When there is a case of different surnames, the parents can choose one surname or both surnames to be given to the child.

If there is only one parent present at the Registrar Office, there must be written and signed consent provided by the other parent giving permission to name the child.

Documents Needed for Registration

When going to the Registrar, you will need to bring:

  • The leave letter from the maternity hospital
  • The marriage certificate of the parents
  • Personal IDs from both parents
  • Request for issuing documents from the Registrar Office (available at the Registrar)


You will also need to pay the fees associated with these procedures as follows:

  • 60 kuna (in state stamps)
    • 20 kuna state stamp for birth certificate (rodni list)
    • 20 kuna state stamp for excerpt from the Registry of births (izvadak iz matice rođenih)
    • 20 kuna state stamp for citizenship certificate (Domovnica), if applicable
  • 14 kuna (in cash)
    • Birth certificate – 4 kuna
    • Excerpt from Registrar – 5 kuna
    • Domovnica – 5 kuna)

State stamps look like little postage stamps and are a form of paying for administrative fees in Croatia. You need to buy them ahead of time before going to the Registrar’s office. Usually they are sold at newsstands called “Tisak” as well as at Narodne Novine locations.


During your visit to the Registrar’s office, the following procedures will occur:

  • Your child will be entered into Registry of Births
  • Your child will be entered into Registry of Croatian Citizens (only applicable if one or both parents are citizens)
  • Your child’s residence will be registered
  • Application for issuance of child’s OIB
  • Application for issuance of mandatory health insurance (HZZO)
  • Application for granting of one-off financial support for a newborn child

The child’s residence permit and OIB number can be obtained during that same visit to the Registrar’s office. Additional information about how and when the financial support will be provided will also be given during your visit.

HZZO will send the health insurance ID of the child to the home address.

Child Benefits

One of the last steps is to apply for a one-off cash grant for a newborn child. This benefit is only one form of monetary benefits that are available to the parents in Croatia. Here is a post that covers child benefits in greater detail.

Registration Through E-citizen

All the above steps that can be executed at the Registrar’s office can also be accomplished through the E-Citizen platform.

The E-Citizen platform aims to be a gateway to all the documents a Croatian citizen might need, such as:

  • Marriage licenses
  • Death certificates
  • Tax cards
  • Student grades

It has proven to be especially useful when registering a newborn child, as it saves a trip to see the bureaucratic powers that be in person.

Since the online system centralizes information on all citizens, the process is simplified. The forms that must be completed will be partially filled out automatically by the system.

Please note that there is a form that must be completed by both parents individually. If one of the parents does not qualify to use the online system, they can still complete the procedure by visiting the Registrar’s office.

The state administration has prepared this tutorial to guide citizens through the process of registering a child online. It is only available in the Croatian language.

There are no fees associated with registering your child through E-Citizen platform. The card reader is the only expense. It is 100 kuna and can be bought online here.

How to register a child born abroad

If a child is born abroad to Croatian citizens or non-citizens with residence in Croatia, the child can be registered with the government upon return to Croatia. The registration process will be fairly similar to the one previously described for registering a child in the Registrar’s office. The only difference is that a translated and notarized copy of the birth certificate from abroad would need to be provided.

It may take a bit longer for all the procedures to be completed for children born abroad, because the Registrar’s offices in Croatia do not have direct communication with their counterparts in other countries.

In addition, you may not register a child born abroad online through the E-citizen platform. It must be done in person.

Have you registered a child in Croatia as a foreign parent? Please tell us about your experience.

Sharing is Caring:

11 thoughts on “How to register a new child in Croatia (in 2021)

  1. Damir Videcak
    August 25, 2019 @ 1:28 pm

    I am living in Australia I was born in Croatia and have lost my birth certificate i am now an Australian citizen but I need my Croatian birth certificate to apply for a Australian passport could you please advise my how to do this


  2. Nikola Videcak
    September 10, 2019 @ 2:07 am

    Bok Damire ja sam tvoj bratic Nikola Videcak iz Hrvatske molim javi mi se na mail [email protected] pomoci cu ti


  3. ryda
    October 1, 2019 @ 1:08 am

    hey! if my child will born in croatia and me and my husband aren’t citizen of croatia nor EU citizen so will our child be a citizen of croatia ?? And will we be able to get a citizenship Or RP cause of our child ?


    • Expat in Croatia
      October 1, 2019 @ 3:50 pm

      Hi Ryda,

      Croatia does not offer birthright citizenship. Your child will only have a right to Croatian citizenship if either you or your husband hold Croatian citizenship or are entitled to it.




  4. Rose mikodanic
    October 19, 2019 @ 1:48 pm

    Hello, my name is Rose Mikodanic am Kenyan but married to Croatian man am currently living with my husband and daughter. I got baby on 2-08-2019 my question is will my daughter get monthly government child support? My daughter is Croatian citizen but am still not citizen


  5. Davor Drago
    January 27, 2020 @ 3:19 pm


    My father was born in and is a citizen of Croatia. I was born in America. I am now over 21 and trying to get my citizenship. Can i have him register me at the local police station or do i need to do the entire application process? If I need to do the entire process is there an apostile or attorney you would recommend?

    Thank you


    • Expat in Croatia
      January 27, 2020 @ 5:53 pm

      Hi Davor,

      If you are a non-resident, you must apply from an embassy or consulate. You can only apply in Croatia if you legally reside here. You will need to do the entire application process yourself, or have an attorney do it for you. However, an attorney can only assist if you live in Croatia. If you want a referral, you may email me.




  6. Matt J Lisnich
    August 7, 2020 @ 3:23 am

    Rose my father is Croatian and was born in the former Yugoslavia. Hes been in Chicago for 50 years. Im working on getting my citizenship in Croatia but we need to prove his nationality. I have his birth cert but thats not sufficient. Any idea who we can call? Would he need to become a citizen again?
    All of his military records and school would probably not mention he’s Croatian.

    Any help would be appreciated.



    • Expat in Croatia
      August 10, 2020 @ 9:58 am

      Hi Matt,

      Why is your father’s birth certificate not sufficient to prove nationality? Usually that is all that is needed. You may contact me directly at [email protected].




Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Subscribe to the Expat in Croatia Newsletter and get a FREE GUIDE to the 9 Tips for Battling Croatia's Bureaucracy.