How to register a marriage or divorce in Croatia

Image by The Atlantic

PUBLISHED: 03/09/2021

If you are a Croatian citizen, you need to register any foreign marriages or divorces with the Croatian registrar, regardless of whether you live in Croatia. By foreign marriages or divorces, we mean they were completed outside of Croatia.

It’s not like you’ll be punished if you do not. However, there are certain bureaucratic procedures that you will not be able to do until your records are up to date in Croatia. Some of them include applying for health insurance as a spouse, applying for residence as the non-EU spouse of Croatian, giving up Croatian nationality, changing your name to your married name, or adopting a child.

Foreign marriage or divorce must be entered into the Croatian Book of Marriages called “Matica vjenčanih”. This is done by a person called the registrar (matičar) in the Croatian registrar’s office (matični ured).

Unlike most bureaucratic processes in Croatia, registering a marriage or divorce is pretty simple. Of course, things can get complicated if you don’t meet the requirements, but that’s why we are here. 🙂

To be clear, this post is for people married outside of Croatia involving at least one Croatian citizen. If you wish to get married, then this is the post for you if one of you is a foreigner, or this post if you’re both Croatians.

In this post, we cover:

The facts are these…

If you were married in the European Union

If you are a Croatian citizen and were married in another EU Member State, you are not obliged to register a marriage in Croatia. If you respected all the laws of the country where you were married, your marriage will automatically be recognized in all EU Member States.

However, it is recommended to register your marriage in Croatia anyways. If you don’t register your marriage, you won’t be able to pick up your Croatian documents or proceed with certain bureaucratic procedures. For example, if you wish to return to live in Croatia with your new spouse, you’ll need to register your marriage before you new spouse can apply for residence. [Read: How spouses of Croatian citizens can apply for residence]

If you want to get married in another EU Member State as a Croatian citizen, first, you must receive permission from the competent authorities of the country where you’d like to get married. After you receive their permission, you can get married.

When you come back to Croatia, you must obtain all official documents related to your new marital status on the basis of your foreign wedding certificate.

Divorces granted in another EU Member State are automatically recognized in Croatia. You don’t have to go through an additional procedure.

[Read: How to get married in Croatia if at least one spouse is a foreigner]

If you are in a same-sex marriage

Unlike heterosexual marriage, same-sex marriage is not recognized in all EU Member States. It is currently recognized only in the following countries:

  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Denmark
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Iceland
  • Ireland
  • Luxembourg
  • Malta
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Portugal
  • Spain
  • Sweden

In Croatia, same-sex marriage is not recognized. This means that if you are in a same-sex relationship and you want to get married in Croatia, it is not allowed by the law. Instead of getting married, same-sex couples must enter a life partnership in Croatia. It is a special form of a legal partnership defined by the law. After they enter a life partnership, same-sex couples will be granted all the rights of the life partnership. [Read: Same-sex life partnerships in Croatia]

However, if you’ve registered your same-sex marriage outside of Croatia, i.e. if you were married abroad, your marriage will be recognized in Croatia. In this case, you must register your foreign same-sex marriage in Croatia. After registration, your foreign same-sex marriage will be recognized as heterosexual marriage in Croatia with the same rights.

What is the Book of Marriages

The Book of Marriages is a record of all marriages that took place in Croatia as well as marriages of Croatian citizens concluded abroad. It is called “Matica vjenčanih” in Croatian and is managed at the Registrar’s office. [Read: How to get married in Croatia]

Foreign marriages or divorces are entered into the Croatian Book of Marriages based on an excerpt from a foreign legal institution. You need to provide an original, apostilled/legalized, and translated copy of your foreign marriage certificate to a registrar. It must be translated into the Croatian language by an official translator. [Read: How to prepare your foreign documents for use in Croatia]

If you want to register a foreign divorce, first you must register a marriage. A divorce cannot be registered if your marriage was never registered.

How to register a marriage or divorce

Step #1 Collect the documentation

To make the process smooth, collect all the required documentation for the registration in advance. Below is a list of documents that you must collect before registration.

Marriage registration

To register a marriage, you must provide:

  • Birth certificate not older than 3 months for foreign spouses
    • If the foreign spouse is an EU/EEA national, it doesn’t have to be apostilled/legalized
    • If the foreign spouse is a third-country national, apostilled/legalized then officially translated
  • Foreign marriage certificate OR certificate on current matrimonial status
    • If you were married in an EU/EEA Member State, it doesn’t have to be apostilled/legalized

If you were married outside the EU/EEA, it must be apostilled/legalized then officially translated

Divorce registration

To register a divorce in Croatia, you must provide:

  • Divorce decree
    • If you were divorced in an EU/EEA Member State, it doesn’t have to be apostilled/legalized
    • If you were divorced in a non-EU/EEA Member State, it has to be apostilled/legalized, translated and then approved by the Croatian municipal court
      • Note: There are some exceptions due to special agreements between countries that require a different procedure.

Step #2 Verify the documentation

Before registration, your foreign documents must be verified by a foreign relevant institution. This means that they must be apostilled/legalized then officially translated into Croatian. [Read: Apostille versus full legalization of government documents]

All foreign legal documents must be prepared for use in Croatia. If they are not prepared properly, they will be rejected by the legal institution. Be sure to take care of this before you proceed with the registration process. It may take a while, but better safe than sorry. [Read: How to prepare your foreign documents for use in Croatia]

Step #3 Register the marriage/divorce

Registration can be done at:

  • Registrar’s office according to the address of your stay in Croatia
    • A list of all registrar’s offices in Croatia is available here
  • Croatian embassy or consular office outside of Croatia
    • A list of Croatian embassies and consular offices abroad is available here

Registration of a marriage or divorce must be done in person. Only one spouse must be present. If you are prevented, it can be done by an authorized person, or you can send a written request to the registrar’s office. A lawyer can do this on your behalf in Croatia using a power of attorney. If you’d like an introduction to a vetted one, click here.

If you have Croatian citizenship, but you live outside of Croatia, you must register your marriage according to your last permanent address in Croatia where you have lived with your spouse. If you don’t have it, you should do it according to the last Croatian permanent address of the spouse who applied for the registration of marriage. [Read: Prebivalište and boravište: two addresses that must be registered with the police]

Bring the collected and verified documents with you. The process should be done immediately upon your arrival. The registrar will enter the data into the Croatian Book of Marriages (Matica vjenčanih).

Administrative fees

Registration of a foreign marriage or divorce in Croatia is free of charge.

View posts related to marriages and life partnerships

Get help registering a marriage or divorce in Croatia

If you’re living outside Croatia, you may not be able to get to Croatia, embassy or consulate to register your marriage or divorce. In this case, you can authorize a Croatian lawyer to take care of this for you. Having it handled in Croatia will be much faster and more efficient than going through an embassy or consulate.

We have a network of expat-vetted lawyers who can help! If you’d like an introduction to an English-speaking professional who can assist, let us know by filling out the form below. We’ll get back to you shortly to get you connected.

    We will only email you once per week. The newsletter includes a wrap up of our latest posts, a Croatian word and phrase of the week, curated actionable Croatian news plus freebies just for our subscribers.


Please note: All information provided by Expat in Croatia is only for the purposes of guidance. It does not constitute legal advice in any form. For legal advice, you must consult with a licensed Croatian lawyer. We can recommend one if you contact us.

Sharing is Caring:

2 thoughts on “How to register a marriage or divorce in Croatia

  1. jon
    September 9, 2021 @ 2:34 pm

    Hello Sara et al,
    Could you answer a question for me please? I asked this before but got no reply and indeed it maybe that the situation is “unknown”. I am a UK citizen iving in Croatia. I have been here almost 4 years but due to brexit my residency just reverted to beginning again this year. I wish to marry my partner who is Serbian and for her to be able to apply for a visa to live with me here in Croatia. Do you forsee any problems?
    Many Thanx


    • Marija Tkalec
      September 13, 2021 @ 4:32 pm

      Hi jon,

      Sorry for the late reply, sometimes we need a bit more time to find the answer or answer to every single comment (:

      Your partner should be able to apply on the basis of family reunification.

      Warm regards,


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Subscribe to the Expat in Croatia Newsletter and get a FREE GUIDE to the 9 Tips for Battling Croatia's Bureaucracy.