Croatia’s public television is called HRT (Hrvatska radiotelevizija) and it is owned by the state. HRT covers 5 TV channels and 12 radio stations with one international station each. HRT’s TV programs can be watched in and outside of Croatia – in Europe and globally.
This is the first article we’ve written on the topic of Croatian national television and it covers basic information. In the second one, we will discuss the issues residents often deal with when paying the monthly fee to HRT, so stay tuned…
In this post, we cover:
- What is HRT and what they offer
- How to watch HTV channels outside of Croatia
- HRT’s TV show classics
- Where to find HTV program schedules
- Titles for TV shows
- HRT in numbers
- HRT monthly fee
The facts are these…
Hrvatska radiotelevizija – HRT (Croatian Radiotelevision) is the Croatian national public broadcasting company that operates several television and radio channels. It was founded by the Republic of Croatia and ownership rights belong to the Croatian government. The radio section was founded in 1920 and TV section in 1950.
HRT operates with:
- 4 terrestrial TV channels
- Prvi program Hrvatske televizije – HRT – HTV 1
- Drugi program Hrvatske televizije – HRT – HTV 2
- Treći program Hrvatske televizije – HRT – HTV 3
- Četvrti program Hrvatske televizije – HRT – HTV 4
- 1 international TV channel
- HRT International (HRT Int.)
- 3 national radio stations
- Prvi program Hrvatskoga radija – HRT – HR 1
- Drugi program Hrvatskoga radija – HRT – HR 2
- Treći program Hrvatskoga radija – HRT – HR 3
- 1 international radio station
- HRT – Glas Hrvatske (Voice of Croatia)
- 8 regional radio stations
- HRT – Radio Dubrovnik
- HRT – Radio Knin
- HRT – Radio Osijek
- HRT – Radio Pula
- HRT – Radio Rijeka
- HRT – Radio Sljeme
- HRT – Radio Split
- HRT – Radio Zadar
- 8 regional centers
HRT has additional sections including:
- Simfonijski orkestar (symphony orchestra)
- Jazz orkestar (jazz orchestra)
- Tamburaški orkestar (tamburitza orchestra)
- Zbor Hrvatske radiotelevizije (HRT choir)
What is HRT International
HRT International (HRT Int.) is a channel intended for Croats outside of Croatia and the international public. They broadcast news translated to English, German, and Spanish. Their TV shows Hrvatska, moj izbor (Croatia, my choice) and Otkrivamo Hrvastku (Discover Croatia) feature the lives of Croatian diaspora, returnees, and foreigners who live in Croatia.
HRT Int. also produces documentaries on Croatian history, tradition and culture and their relations with the world.
HRT broadcasts 24 hours a day including news, movies, TV shows, author’s shows, and sports programs. The program that is watched the most is HRT – HTV1. News is broadcast within HRT – HTV1 and HRT Int.
[Read: Where to get your Croatian news]
HRT’s national radio and TV programs are broadcast by satellite to the whole of Europe. This means that everyone who owns a satellite and lives in Europe can watch or listen to them.
HRT’s international programs HRT – Glas Hrvatske and HRT Int. – Program za Hrvate izvan RH can be viewed globally. You can track them by satellite in Europe or via HRT’s multimedia service HRTi regardless of location.
What is HRTi
HRT has its own streaming service called HRTi which includes:
- Watching 5 TV programs
- Live listening to 12 radio stations
- Content review with a time-lag
- Expanded database of TV and radio broadcasts (on-demand)
- Additional content
HRTi is free of charge for all HRT private users. To use it, you must have a proper receiving device and internet access. HRTi can also be used outside of Croatia. However, if certain content is protected according to the author’s rights, it won’t be available.
More information on the HRTi service including instructions on how to use it is available here.
Some of the HRT’s TV shows have been around for a long time and are considered Croatian classics. Let’s introduce some of them.
#1 Dobro jutro, Hrvatska!
Dobro jutro, Hrvatska! is a daily morning show that covers reports and live broadcasts from Croatia. It is led by a couple of TV presenters who host guests in the studio. They also have a column with advice from all areas of life.
We are pleased to remind everyone that Sara was interviewed on Dobro jutro, Hrvatska! in July 2020. You can watch the full interview (in Croatian) as well as read the English transcription of the interview here.
Category: Entertainment, informative, mosaic show
Broadcasting: Monday- Friday at 6:30; Saturday at 9:30
TV channel: HRT – HTV 1
TV show More covers stories related to the richness of the Adriatic Sea and its coast. Their topics cover life at sea and are broadcasted from HRT’s studios in Pula, Rijeka, Zadar, and Split.
Category: Informative mosaic show
Broadcasting: Sunday at 13:20
TV channel: HRT – HTV 1
#3 Nedjeljom u 2
Nedjeljom u 2 is the longest-running political talk show led by a TV presenter Aleksandar Stanković. Every Sunday, Stanković hosts a guest from the world of politics, science, culture, or economy in the HRT’s studio and they discuss a certain topic. Everyone who watches the show can participate by answering a question that was asked during the show.
Broadcasting: Sunday at 14:00
TV channel: HRT – HTV 1
#4 TV Kalendar
TV Kalendar is a short documentary show focused on important events from Croatian and world history.
Broadcasting: Monday – Saturday at 6:10: Sunday at 7:50
TV channel: HRT – HTV1
All schedules for HRT’s programs including the HRT – HTV1, HRT – HTV2, HRT – HTV3, HRT – HTV4, and HRT – HTV Int. are available here.
HRT – HTV4 enables the subtitles for deaf people within the following informative shows:
- Dnevnik at 12:00
- Vijesti at 17:00
- Vijesti at 18:00
- Dnevnik at 19:00
The titles for the deaf are in Croatian sign language. All shows that are broadcast with Croatian sign language have the label “HZJ” (hrvatski znakovni jezik) on the TV schedules.
Some shows also have belonging subtitles in the Croatian language. They are marked with the label “T” on the TV schedules and Teletext. Titles can be watched via the Teletext page 888.
HRT’s archive material includes:
- 250.000 hours of audiovisual recordings
- 100.000 hours of radio recordings
- 30.000 sheet music records
- 30.000 books
In one year of their TV programs, HRT broadcasts:
- 2.015.056 minutes (33.584 hours) of TV programs
- 553.054 minutes of informative programs
- 54.012 minutes of children’s program
- 91.390 minutes of scientific and educational programs
- 80.604 minutes of documentary programs
- 41.242 minutes of drama programs
- 99.137 minutes of cultural programs
- 22.419 minutes of religious programs
If you want to watch HRT TV programs or listen to their radio stations, you must pay a monthly fee. It is prescribed that the amount of a monthly fee cannot be higher than 1.5% of the approximate monthly “neto” salary in Croatia. The monthly fee has remained the same since 2012 and it is 80 kuna per month.
[Read: Minimum wage salaries in Croatia]
There is some classic Croatian screwiness with how this fee is charged, but that necessitates its own post. Stay tuned for that…If you know what I’m talking about and have a story to tell about it, share it with us.
HRT contact information
Other HRT contact information is available here.
View our other media posts
- Croatian National Theaters
- Croatia’s mobile phone providers
- e-Građani (e-Citizens) – Online portal for Croatian government services
- Entrepreneur groups for women in Croatia
- Hrvatska Pošta – Croatian Postal Office
- What is a Tisak and how it may just save your life
- What is Narodne Novine
- Where to get your Croatian news
Please note: All information provided by Expat in Croatia is only for the purposes of guidance. It does not constitute legal or financial advice in any form. For legal advice, you must consult with a licensed Croatian lawyer. For financial advice, you must consult with a licensed Croatian tax advisor or accountant. We can recommend one if you contact us.