How to show proof of financial means (as part of your application for residence in Croatia)

This post has been verified with the ministry that handles immigration.
Proof of financial means
Slobodna Bosna

LAST UPDATED: 21/10/2021

When applying for residency in Croatia, you must show that you have enough money to support yourself. This is required in most cases when applying for temporary or permanent residency, regardless of your nationality.

In this post, we cover:

The facts are these…

How the amount of financial means is calculated

The amount of financial means for temporary and permanent stay in Croatia is defined by “ Uredba o načinu izračuna i visini sredstava za uzdržavanje državljanina treće zemlje u Republici Hrvatskoj” (Regulation on the method of calculation and amount of means of subsistence for third-country nationals in the Republic of Croatia).

A new version of this regulation was published in February 2021. It is available here.

The exact amount of financial means is calculated according to the amount of the average monthly “neto” salary in Croatia in the previous year. The average monthly “neto” salary for 2020 published by the Državni zavod za statistiku (Central Bureau of Statistics) is 6.763,00 kn.

Based on this amount, different calculations are made to reach the amount the government believes you need to support yourself on a monthly basis.

How it is calculated:

  • For a single person (e.g. yourself) = 50% of the average monthly “neto” salary in the previous year
  • For a family of 2 = Amount for a single person + additional 15% of the average monthly “neto” salary in the previous year
  • For each additional family member = Amount increases by an additional 10% of the average monthly “neto” salary in the previous year

[Read: Minimum wage salaries in Croatia]

How much money do I need to have

The minimum amount of money you need to have varies depending on your case and the number of people in your family.

The latest amounts are as follows:

  • For a single person (e.g. yourself) = 3.381,50 kuna per month
  • For a family of 2 = 4.395,95 kuna per month
  • For each additional family member, add 676,30 kuna per month

However, there are some exceptions.


Secondary education students who apply for temporary residence must possess monthly financial means in the amount of 15% of the average monthly salary which is 1.014,45 kuna per month.

Students who apply for temporary residence must possess monthly financial means in the amount of 25% of the average monthly salary which is 1.690,75 kuna per month. They also must possess return funds in the amount of 60% of the average monthly salary which is 4.057,80 kuna per month.

Digital Nomads

Financial means of digital nomads must be equal to the amount of AT LEAST 2 1/2 average monthly “neto” salary paid for the previous year (based on 2020’s average salary of 6.763 kuna). For each additional family member or life partner or informal life partner, this amount is increased by 10% of the average monthly “neto” salary.

The latest amounts for digital nomads are as follows:

  • For a single person (e.g. yourself) = 16.907,50 kuna per month
  • For each additional family member, add 676,30 kuna per month

[Read: How to apply for the digital nomad residence permit in Croatia]

Family members of Croatian citizens

If you are a close family member of a Croatian citizen and applying for a temporary residence permit for the purpose of family reunification, you don’t need to provide the financial means.

According to Article 64 of the Law on foreigners, close family members are:

(1) Član uže obitelji u smislu ovoga Zakona je:
1. bračni drug
2. izvanbračni drug
3. maloljetno zajedničko dijete bračnih i izvanbračnih drugova, životnih partnera ili neformalnih životnih partnera te maloljetno dijete svakog od njih, njihovo maloljetno zajednički posvojeno dijete odnosno maloljetno posvojeno dijete svakog od njih koje nije u braku, kao i maloljetno dijete životnog ili neformalnog životnog partnera ili njegovo maloljetno posvojeno dijete koje nije u braku
4. roditelj ili posvojitelj maloljetnog djeteta hrvatskog državljanina, državljanina treće zemlje kojem je odobreno dugotrajno boravište ili stalni boravak, azil ili supsidijarna zaštita.

Which translates to…

(1) A close family member in terms of this Act is:
1. spouse
2. extramarital partner
3. minor joint child of spouses and extramarital partners, life partners or informal life partners and a minor child of each of them, their minor jointly adopted child or a minor adopted child of each of them who is not married, as well as a minor child of a living or informal life partner or his underage adopted child who is not married
4. parent or adoptive parent of a minor child of a Croatian citizen, a third-country national who has been granted long-term residence or permanent residence, asylum or subsidiary protection.

And this is from an official decision we received from MUP on the matter:

Ujedno napominjemo da je člankom 65. Zakona o strancima popisano da član uže obitelji hrvatskog državljanina iz članka 64. stavka 1. ovoga Zakona za odobrenje privremenog boravka u svrhu spajanja obitelji ne mora dokazivati osigurana sredstva za uzdržavanje.”

Which translates to…

At the same time, we note that Article 65 of the Aliens Act stipulates that a close family member of a Croatian citizen referred to in Article 64, paragraph 1 of this Act does not have to prove secured means of subsistence in order to be granted temporary residence for family reunification.

How do I prove financial means

There are three ways to prove your financial means:

  • Show 3 months of completed salary payments from a Croatian company
  • Show a work contract with a Croatian employer
  • Put money on a bank account

If using a work contract

This option is for those who are applying for a temporary residence permit based on a work contract. In this contract, your monthly “neto” salary will be defined. Neto salary is the amount of money that will hit your personal bank account every month. This neto salary must be higher than the thresholds stated above.

[Read: How to apply for a work permit]

If putting money on a bank account

If putting money in a bank account, you’ll need to deposit enough money to cover the minimum amount for one year. For example, if you are a single individual, then you would need to deposit 38.742 kuna (12 months x 3.228,50 kuna).

For a very long time, the police would only accept a bank statement from a Croatian bank. They are now accepting foreign bank statements, as a matter of practice and discretion. I mentioned the latter because it’s important to be prepared if they do ask you to open a Croatian bank account. If showing a foreign bank account, they may insist on seeing the currency noted on the statement.

You’ll only need to keep the money in a Croatian bank temporarily during your residency application process. Tell the bank that you are applying for residency and that you need to show the balance to the police. They will generate a letter you can take and submit as part of your application.

[Read: Do I need to open a bank account in Croatia]

Can I choose how I show my financial means

While these three options are available, all options aren’t available to everyone in every situation.

  • EU/EEA nationals can use any option for both temporary residency and permanent residency.
  • Spouses of EU, even if they are non-EU/EU nationals, can use any option for both temporary and permanent residency.
  • Close family members of a Croatian citizen can use any option for permanent residency.
  • Non-EU/EEA nationals
    • If applying for temporary residence based on work, you can only show a work contract.
    • If applying for temporary residence on any basis unrelated to work, you can only show funds on a bank account.
    • If applying for permanent residence, you must be employed by a Croatian company and be able to show 3 completed salary payments. This refers to any Non-EU/EEA national that is NOT married to an EU/EEA or Croatian national.

When do I show my proof

You give this proof to the police when they ask for it.

If you’re a non-EU/EEA national, wait until the police tell you to do so. They do not ask for this until it’s clear you have a valid basis for the application, which is usually a few steps into the process. Also, they will tell you the exact amount you need to have. [Read: Available visas and residence permits for Croatia]

What else do I need to know

A point I drive home across this web site is that everybody’s situation is different. While these are the defined thresholds confirmed with MUP, it doesn’t mean that the caseworker processing your application will abide by these amounts. [Read: The most important lesson you need to learn about living in Croatia]

I’ll share a story from my own personal experience. I am a non-EU national. When I first came to Croatia, my spouse was an EU national and he had a salary through a Croatian company that met the salary requirements.

On my third temporary permit application and my first as a single lady, they requested two deposits. The first, early in the application process, needed to be only 2.000 kuna. Then later, the second deposit needed to be 5.000 kuna. I can only surmise that I had “built up credit” with them.

When it was time for my permanent residency application, they no longer would allow me to show funds on an account. I had to have a salary from a Croatian company so I opened a business. However, even though the threshold was 2.400 kuna a month, they claimed that it wasn’t enough to live on and my salary needed to be higher. Well of course it’s not enough to live on, but that isn’t really the point. [Read: Types of business in Croatia]

They told me that I must pay myself a salary of at least 4.000 kuna as a single person. Not long after, the government implemented minimum wage for company directors, which required me to increase the salary even higher. [Read: Minimum wage salaries in Croatia]

If you’d like help with your residence application, please contact us.

Did you ever need proof of financial means in Croatia?

View other documentation articles

Please note: All information provided by Expat in Croatia is only for the purposes of guidance. It does not constitute legal advice in any form. For legal advice, you must consult with a licensed Croatian lawyer. We can recommend one if you contact us.

Sharing is Caring:

34 thoughts on “How to show proof of financial means (as part of your application for residence in Croatia)

  1. Tina Donovan
    April 22, 2020 @ 2:54 pm

    Just over a year ago I submitted a bank statement from a bank in my home country to show that I had sufficient money and this was accepted. Have the rules changed since then?


    • Expat in Croatia
      April 27, 2020 @ 3:28 pm

      Hi Tina,

      The rules have always been the same. However, it all comes down to who you speak to and what kind of mood they are in.




  2. Ronald
    May 6, 2020 @ 7:04 pm

    Hello is it possible when you live be sufficient means, to show only the monthly income or do i have to deposit the whole money per year on the bank account?



    • Expat in Croatia
      May 8, 2020 @ 2:19 pm

      Hi Ronald,

      It all depends on your basis for residency and what the police request from you.




  3. Ronald
    May 21, 2020 @ 2:22 pm

    HI Sara

    i have rental incomes monthly do you think this would be enough? About 600 Euro monthly.


    • Expat in Croatia
      May 24, 2020 @ 8:55 am

      Hi Ronald,

      If your family is no more than a spouse and one child, then that will be enough. There is a chart in the post that details the amounts per your family situation.




  4. Dawna
    August 19, 2020 @ 6:24 pm

    You mentioned your third temporary permit. Is one only allowed three? Am I correct in understanding it would be three consecutive years? After that one would need to open a business or be employed by an Croatia company?
    I’m retired and 69 years, I would love to live in Croatia, however, I don’t want to relocate after three years.


  5. Ando
    September 16, 2020 @ 6:09 pm

    Hi Sara,
    With the 1 to 2 years temporary residence visa, does one need to pay incomes taxes?
    1 option is to Have overseas investment income.
    Another is to be a digital nomad, paid through an overseas last option is just to use savings.
    Since there is no path to permanent residency (Canadian/Australian retirees), I’m thinking there should be no Croatian income tax…


  6. Dennis
    September 25, 2020 @ 8:50 am

    Hi Sara
    Am retired from the US Government and receive a monthly check. Would this be enough to prove i have enough monthly income or do I still need to open a bank account here and transfer money? Thanks for all the answers.


    • Expat in Croatia
      September 25, 2020 @ 1:55 pm

      Hi Dennis,

      You must show that you have enough to support yourself for at least 1 year in a bank account. You can show a foreign bank statement.




  7. Ron Groves
    November 4, 2020 @ 7:15 am

    We would like to move to and rent a place in Croatia for at least 2 years, to start. We are both over 65, retired, and will not be working. Our monthly income consist of the following.
    – Military retirement
    – Boeing retirement
    – City of Long Beach retirement
    – And we each receive Social Security
    The total is over 54,000 Kuna/mo

    We also have about $500,000 in US banks. What type of Visa would we need and where do we go to start the process?


  8. Cinthya
    December 15, 2020 @ 12:45 am

    Hi Sara, with this temporary residence should I stay the whole year in Croatia? or am I allow to go out of Croatia (another EU countries), like holidays and how much time maximium?


    • Expat in Croatia
      December 16, 2020 @ 2:34 pm

      Hi Cinthya,

      You cannot be gone from Croatia more than 30 days per year.




      • Bruno
        March 30, 2021 @ 6:45 am

        Hi Sara!

        I was trying to find where this limit was described, and I think I found it here:

        However, it says, translating to English

        Revocation of temporary residence permit
        Article 87
        (1) The Ministry, through the police administration or police station, shall terminate the temporary stay of a third-country national if:
        5. from the day of granting temporary residence granted for a period of up to one year, stays abroad several times longer than 90 days in total or longer than 30 days once

        Is this correct that I can actually stay 90 days abroad for the duration of my permit, as long as it does not go beyond 30 days at once?

        Thank you so much for your help!


        • Marija Tkalec
          April 6, 2021 @ 3:54 pm

          Hi Bruno,

          during your temporary residence, you can leave Croatia for a period of up to 30 days (if you stay more than 30 days, you will lost your temporary residence) OR several smaller periods but not longer than 90 days in total within a year (from the day when your permit was issued). So, according to these rules, your conclusion should be right.

          If you have to leave Croatia for a period of more than 90 days (all at once) due to justified reasons, you must contact MUP.



  9. Shalini
    January 4, 2021 @ 10:05 am

    Hi Sara,
    I am an Indian working for a reputed US based firm. I want to simply work remotely for 4 or 5 weeks only. Should I apply for digital nomad visa? Should I contact the Croatia embassy for discussing this? Do you see a concern? Thanks


    • Expat in Croatia
      January 4, 2021 @ 11:22 am

      Hi Shalini,

      If you’re only planning on being in Croatia less than 90 days, then you don’t need to bother with applying for residence.




  10. Preston
    February 20, 2021 @ 8:36 pm

    So, if I understand this correctly, to be eligible for the Digital Nomad residency permit, one would have to be making over $2500 USD per month? Is that right? It seems a little bit high considering the cost of living in Croatia.


    • Expat in Croatia
      February 24, 2021 @ 4:25 pm

      Hi Preston,

      Yes, that is correct and yes it is a lot. It has nothing to do with the cost of living. This is a special amount specifically for digital nomads.




  11. Theresa Kostanjšek
    February 24, 2021 @ 12:39 pm

    Sara, I just want to Thank you for all the work you put into assisting and advising us… The information and direction that I glean from your weekly newsletters is outstanding, so helpful. THANKYOU!!!


    • Expat in Croatia
      February 24, 2021 @ 4:04 pm

      Hi Theresa,

      Oh wow, thank you so much!! You are so kind! Happy to have you as a subscriber and follower. Thank you so much for being here. 🙂




  12. Kathy Litz
    February 26, 2021 @ 8:22 pm

    Hi Sara….for our past four applications we have submitted a print out of a statement from our Nevada teachers retirement and our social security retirement which shows the monthly deposit. We have never shown a bank statement. If we show more than the minimum does that mean we are charged more for HZZO?
    Hope you are enjoying the sunshine and the open ( MONDAY) cafes!!!!!


    • Expat in Croatia
      March 11, 2021 @ 2:35 pm

      Hi Kathy!!

      The amount charged for HZZO is unrelated to the amount of income, if you are paying out of pocket for insurance (e.g. not employed by a Croatian company).

      Hope you’re enjoying the US!




  13. Antonio
    April 6, 2021 @ 6:07 pm

    Hi Sara,

    Thank you for an amazing guide packed with awesome information.

    I have a question regarding proving the financial means for my fiancee who is coming to Croatia from Vietnam. We are in the process of legalizing the documents needed to get married in Croatia.

    Also, we are going to apply her for a temporary residency card, and you’ve mentioned Article 64 & 65 that exempts family members of Croatian citizens from proving the financial means.

    Does it apply to our case?

    Thanks in advance,


    • Expat in Croatia
      April 11, 2021 @ 2:32 pm

      Hi Antonio,

      If she will be applying for residence based on family reunification, then she does not need to show proof of financial means.




  14. Fatema
    April 29, 2021 @ 7:49 am

    Hello Sara,

    I currently work for an American company and would be allowed to work remotely. Would I need a letter from the company or can I show my paychecks from the past 3 months? Would I need to show anything else while in Croatia? Thanks so much!


  15. Mafer
    July 1, 2021 @ 1:07 pm

    Hi Sara,

    I currently work as a digital nomad but my salary is relatively low compared to what the Croatian permit asks for. I currently make 1000 USD. Do you think I could apply attaching my contract and a letter and a bank statement from my partner who could sponsor me economically? Or does the permit only work if the salary is more than 2500 USD?



    • Marija Tkalec
      July 1, 2021 @ 6:06 pm

      Hi Mafer,

      Your suggestion should work and your father should be able to put the money on your bank account. Then, you should enclose a bank statement that proves that you have enough money. See the section “If putting money on a bank account” in this article.

      If you want to apply as a digital nomad, see this article:

      Warm regards,


  16. Leo
    October 7, 2021 @ 5:59 pm


    If I have a bank statement in a language other than english or croatian, do I need to trasnlate it?



    • Marija Tkalec
      October 11, 2021 @ 5:17 pm

      Hi Leo,

      It has to be apostilled/legalized and officially translated into the Croatian language.

      Warm regards,


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Subscribe to the Expat in Croatia Newsletter and get a FREE GUIDE to the 9 Tips for Battling Croatia's Bureaucracy.