Theater performances in Osijek started to rise in the 17th century, but the theater culture didn’t truly begin to develop until 1907 when the Hrvatsko narodno kazalište (Croatian National Theater) in Osijek opened.
Nowadays, HNK Osijek has approximately 15 annual shows and organizes events such as Dani otvorenog kazališta (Open theater days), Krležini dani (Krleža’s days), New Year’s concerts, and Lipanjske operne noći (June’s opera nights).
With its rich annual program, the theater significantly contributes to Osijek’s cultural life. Today when the culture is a bit neglected in Croatia, HNK Osijek is of great importance not only to Osijek but also to the whole county of Slavonija.
2020/2021 HNK Osijek Theater Program
The theater’s program includes drama, music, and programs specific to this particular theater.
A complete program for drama performances can be found here.
A complete program for music performances can be found here.
The annual program can be found here.
How to Buy Theater Tickets
Regular ticket prices vary from 40 to 130 kn depending on the type of performance.
Prices can be found here as well as below.
Online ticket shopping isn’t available and all the tickets can only be purchased at the theater’s sales office.
- Premiere shows
- 130 / 110 / 90 kn for a regular ticket
- 80 kn for people with disabilities (a proof document about the disability is required)
- Replay shows
- 110 / 90 / 80 kn for a regular ticket
- 55 kn for people with disabilities (a proof document about the disability is required)
- Ongoing shows
- 40 kn for retired persons (with a written proof of retirement)
- 35 kn for unemployed persons (with a written proof from HZZ – employment agency)
- 40 kn for students (with iksica/student’s card)
- 30 kn for people with disabilities (a proof document about the disability is required)
- 55 kn for a person with disabilities and their companion
- Premiere shows – 6 performances: 700 / 570 / 500 kn
- Replay shows – 6 performances: 570 / 500 / 400 kn
- Subscription – 6 performances: 450 / 400 / 350 kn
- 350 kn for retired persons (with a written proof of retirement)
- 250 kn for students (with iksica/student’s card)
- A bouquet of subscriptions: 3 replay shows of your own choice for 99 kn
Organized subscription tickets
- School subscription – 35 kn per individual ticket (100 students per show at least and at least 3 shows in a season)
- School and faculty prices – 40 kn per group ticket
- Company subscription – 55 kn per ticket (10 tickets per show at least)
- Tourist agency prices – 40 kn for students and 50 kn for adults (100 tickets per show at least)
Renting the Halls
It is possible to rent the halls at HNK Osijek at the following prices:
- The main hall – 25.000 kn
- Svečani foyer – 8.750 kn
You can check design and technical data for these two halls here.
Ceremonial photography services are also available for the price of 2.000 kn.
Theater Location and Contact Information
Headquarters: +385 (0)31 220 700
Ticket Desk: +385 (0)31 220 749
Email: [email protected]
Address: Županijska 9, 31000 Osijek
Ticket desk working hours:
- Monday – Friday: 9:00-13:00 and one hour before the show
- Saturday: 9:00-12:00 and one hour before the show
- Sunday and holidays: closed
You have to pick up your reserved tickets within 2 days.
Find full contact information by the theater department here.
History of the HNK Osijek
The HNK Osijek’s building, designed by a local architect Karlo Klausner, was built in 1866. Its auditorium was built in a baroque style, decorated with elements of Moorish architecture. It was originally used for traveling theater groups.
In 1907, Društvo za osnutak stalnog hrvatskog kazališta (The Society for the Establishment of a Permanent Croatian Theater) was established as it was supported by many politicians and influenced individuals. The theater expert Nikola Andrić became the first commissary and soon founded the theater’s ensemble.
HNK Osijek’s building was restored several times until 1985. In 1991, during the Domovinski rat (The Croatian War of Independence), the building was destroyed by the Serbian army. During the restoration of the theater, HNK was homeless. Restoration was completed in 1995 and the HNK ensembled returned to its home.
HNK in Osijek has two operating units: the drama unit and the opera unit. It is one of the most important and influential cultural centers in Slavonija. Some of the well-known theater’s performances are the tragedy Othello by William Shakespeare, the opera Carmen by Georges Bizet, the drama Krvavi svatovi (Blood Wedding) by Federico García Lorca, the opera Trubadur (Il Trovatore) by Giuseppe Verdi, and the ballet Orašar by Petar Iljič Čajkovski.
Other National Theaters in Croatia
You may also learn about other national theaters in Croatia at the below links: